Tuesday, November 20, 2012

All I Really Need to Know ...

You may remember a best-selling book by Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.  This book highlighted the "big" lessons of life that every kindergartener learns ... share everything ... play fair ... don't hit people.  The author's premise is that the world would be a better place if we just applied those simple kindergarten lessons.  I came across this YouTube video that creatively summarizes the message of this video.


We had a similar "everything I really need to know" moment at HCA last week during the American Heart Association Jump Rope for Heart event at the East Campus. (Photos of this event are included a the end of this post.)  In addition to all the various jumping stations, Mr. Olson had arranged for a teaching station where the children could learn something about the heart from a guest speaker (who happened to be my son Matthew who is in the final days of completing his nursing degree).  Matthew shared the following with me:  To begin his first session with the Kindergarten class, he asked, "What is in your heart?"  The Kindergartners promptly and confidently answered, "GOD!"

I know, the answer kind of makes you smile.  But isn't it great that the first thing our children think of when asked "What is in your heart?" is God!!?  In it's own way, that is a powerful testimony to the ministry of Heritage Christian Academy ... our children understand that what is really important in life begins with our heart.  I couldn't help but think of Solomon's exhortation in Proverbs 4:23 - "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (NIV)  Aren't you thankful that our students "get it"?






No comments:

Post a Comment