Thursday, April 14, 2016

Love is Patient

Think Christian link

Francis underscores a love that is not linked to others conforming to my wishes. “Patience takes root when I recognize that other people also have a right to live in this world, just as they are,” he writes. “It does not matter if they hold me back, if they unsettle my plans, or annoy me by the way they act or think, or if they are not everything I want them to be. Love always has an aspect of deep compassion that leads to accepting the other person as part of this world, even when he or she acts differently than I would like.” Perhaps this is why interpreters find it so hard to slot the Pope into our categories of thinking. We’re used to assuming that disagreement entails deep division and derision, whereas Francis is often both firm in his doctrinal stance and kind in his pastoral approach. In this, he may be a model for all Christians of how to follow our Savior down a path that both confounds and attracts.

No comments:

Post a Comment